I am often asked for my prescription for beautiful and healthy skin. See my tips, both food and skin care, below.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits every day.
- Olive oil (make sure it is a good quality), lemons, fish, nuts, and whole grains should be part of your normal diet.
- Probiotics promote bowel health. Eliminating toxins and body waste regularly keeps your skin free from blemishes, and gives you a healthy glow. A plain yogurt with live bacilli, eaten every day, will do the job.
- Avoid drinking soda, especially cola. The blood needs minerals to neutralize the acidity of carbonated drinks; and since the bones are the primary source for these needed minerals, their depletion leads to brittle and thinner bones.
- High acidity in the blood is linked to cancer. Avoid soft drinks and a diet high in animal proteins. Favor instead fiber, fruits and vegetables.
- Antioxidants are very important in order to protect your skin from cancer, sun damage, and aging. Vegetables, fruits (especially berries), tea, and dark chocolate are good sources of antioxidants.
- Take good quality supplements on a daily basis. Vitamin C is probably the most important supplement one needs to take, since our body does not produce it. I recommend at least 500mg of Ascorbyl Palmitate (a non-acidic and readily absorbed form of Vitamin C), three times a day with meals. Call my office if you are not able to find this particular form of Vitamin C.
ANTI-AGING SKIN CARE
At night after cleaning the skin to remove all the make-up and dirt, apply reparative peptides and topical retinoid (when indicated). My favorite serum is the AHA/BHA Lipo Serum. This serum will resurface your skin while sleeping. Follow the serum with a high quality moisturizer such as the Complex C Moisturizer or the Glycolic Moisture Crème.
I want to emphasize the need to use only excellent products on your skin. Some commercial brands can contain ingredients not indicated for your particular skin. Seek the advice of a skin specialist, who can analyze your skin and make recommendations on the best regimen for your particular case. In the long run, you’ll save hundreds of dollars by purchasing the correct products.
As always beauty comes from within. Does your body deserve the extra care? You bet!
Love your skin.
Dr. Aurora DeJuliis